Income and assets assesment

Do I need an income and assets assessment?

Everyone moving into an aged care home for the first time from 1 July 2014 will need to have their income and assets assessed by the Department of Human Services (or Department of Veterans' Affairs). This assessment will be used to determine the costs you could be asked to pay. 

The Department of Human Services (or Department of Veterans' Affairs) will conduct your income and assets assessment. They will advise you and the aged care home of the fees payable for your circumstances. 

If you chose not to complete an income and assets assessment you will not be eligible for any Australian Government assistance towards your aged care costs. This means you may be asked to pay the full cost of your care and the maximum accommodation payment.  

How do I provide my information for assessment?

You will need to fill out a Department of Human Services form called the Permanent Residential Aged Care - Request for a Combined Assets and Income Assessment (SA457) to provide your income and asset information. Return this form to the Department of Human Services or the Department of Veterans' Affairs.

More information

For more information about income and assets assessments, visit the My Aged Care website or contact the Director of Nursing at your home of choice.


Video: Veteran Harold Martin shares his story

Video: Veteran Harold Martin shares...

Harold Martin, now 102 years old, is a WWII POW survivor from the infamous Thai Burma Railway. We...

Read more >
White Oak Forms New Alliance with Lisle Villages

White Oak Forms New Alliance with...

White Oak is now the preferred home care services provider for Lisle Villages.

Read more >
Robotic Pets Bring Joy to Homes

Robotic Pets Prompt Fond Memories

Robotic pets are being used to prompt memories and bring joy

Read more >